Banner Ad

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Almond Biscuits with Chocolate Gravy

So tonight we wanted something different! We wanted biscuits and gravy. We have yet to try baking anything with Gluten Free flours and so this was our first! I was nervous because honestly, Gluten free baking seems HARD! However, I was WRONG! It was just as easy as normal baking! :)

I got my Almond Biscuit Recipe from Elana's Pantry Blog. It was fantastic! I would not use this with say chicken and biscuits or maybe not even regular gravy and biscuits b/c it taste very sweet BUT for what we were eating.....PERFECTION!


The recipe I used and followed is as follows:
2.5 cups of Almond Flour and a little more for dusting
.5 tsp of sea salt
.5 tsp baking soda
1/2 stick of gluten free butter (I used I Can't Believe Its Not Butter Sticks)
2 eggs
1 tbl agave nectar

  1. First blend the Dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
  2. Then in a seperate bowl mix together butter, eggs, and agave. 
  3. Then you will slowly blend the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. (I used my Kitchen Aid mixer and used the dough hook).
  4. Then sprinkle almond flour on your surface for dusting. 
  5. roll or pat out the biscuits. I personally just patted mine out. I felt as though the biscuits were too short. I will leave them thicker next time. :) 
  6. Then use your biscuit cutter to cut the biscuits the size you desire. 
  7. use a spatula to scoop the biscuits up and put the on the baking sheet lined with parchement paper. 
  8. Then Bake at 350 for 15 minutes 
The biscuits will NOT feel like normal biscuits and will feel more moist and gritty than normal biscuits.

This is the finished product!

Gluten Free Almond Biscuits
(Almond Flour packs approx 24g of Protein per 100g)


Then we move onto the Chocolate Gravy! mmmmm so good!!
Ingredients: 
2 heaping tbl of Organic Cocoa Powder
2 heaping tbl  of Tapioca Starch 
1.5-2 cups water 
1/4 and 1.5 tbl agave nectar (more if you like it sweeter) 

You will put the dry ingredients in the pot and then slowly add in the water as you whisk...DO NOT LEAVE the stove because it will burn! Once you have added all the water, then you will add the agave nectar and continue whisking until it has thickened to your desired thickness. 

This was our finished product!

Chocolate Gravy



Now you crumble up that Almond Biscuit and pour that Chocolate Gravy all over it and eat up!!! I also added a side of bacon to ours! Very High in Protein and VERY low in carbs! Enjoy this delicious meal that almost feels like dessert! 

This was a small version of the final product! 

Be sure to leave me your thoughts and comments if you try this recipe! :) 

3 comments:

  1. Girlfriend, where are you from!?!? Myself, I grew up on that good stuff in Alabama...

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I am from Nashville, TN. Its a popular item here. :) Its sooooo good! :)

    ReplyDelete